International Residence

Posted on: November 19th, 2013 by Mr Roaming 9 Comments

One of my favorite things to do in my spare time in the nation’s capital is to stroll around the official ambassadors’ residences. From Monaco, to the European Union, I am fascinated by their luxury, architeure and unique style.

This weekend I was walking through Kalorama Heights to Georgetown, when I stumbled upon the most remarkable thing – the embassy of a country that doesn’t seem to exist. I had never heard of The Republic of Zausneria so, naturally I went researching to see what I could find. After some cursory googling, the only reference to it is an article about its owner, a DC attorney who decided to create his own nation and its embassy.  This seems to have helped him in being able to throw parties uninterrupted by DC Police, who would not dare to interfere with the “official business” of Zausneria’s ambassador!

Zausneria

The Republic of Zausneria

Another intriguing home is the official residence of Gabon. So ostentatious for a country with  . . . limited resources.

Official residence of Gabon

Official residence of Gabon

And how about Afghanistan, whose residence an entire block?

Afghanistan residence

Afghanistan residence

Although international diplomatic missions are meant to highlight each country’s culture and influence, often there seems to be a disconnect between the country’s resources and the largesse its embassy and residence present.  Sometimes less is definitely more . . . and more respectful.

1. Frank H. says:

The embassies and residences of countries should present the culture and influence of their nation. However, it is imperative that this is done with respect to financial and political sensitivities. The two examples above are indicative of embarrassing provocative decisions.

2. shana says:

The neighborhood certainly looks beautiful. Maybe the ambassadors could tone it down a notch though. They are supposed to be serving their citizens, not living the good life.

3. krans says:

All I can say is that the buildings are beautiful! The rest, I have to agree with all above.

4. degras says:

I have never seen these buildings in person but they look beautiful . . . and quite embarrassing to excessive-spending countries. Shame indeed.

5. degras says:

But I do appreciate the representation of Zausneria. Great humour.

6. ray says:

I have to visit Washington to see these for myself. Your pictures tell the whole story. Nice living if you can get it.

7. mikael says:

Embassies are meant to represent the culture and sophistication of each country in their host nation. Although each country tries to show their best, it would seem appropriate for the embassy be respectful of the respective country’s economic reality. The above is quite puzzling.

8. Roger says:

I wonder if there’s a conspiracy with the Zausneria Republic! Great find!

9. Robin says:

Mr. Roaming, Thank you for the post on Zausneria. My friend Ann and I were having a girl’s day in D.C. and taking a walk in the neighborhoods surrounding Hotel Palomar. We stumbled on the “Republic” and my first thought was that my geography knowledge must not be that great since I’d never heard of this country. Curiosity got the better of me and I went searching. Your site solved the mystery.