It is the peak of the summer in Europe and in the Northern hemisphere. And to celebrate, we came up with some interesting facts:
1. You can no longer stay exposed to the sun for seven hours straight like you used to when you were a teenager.
2. Go out but come back early . . . in the morning, that is.
3. It’s official: amigdalota (a sumptuous desert made of almonds) is the best desert of the summer 2012 in Europe.
4. Don’t get confused: it’s lemon on fried calamari and vinegar on grilled octopus. And . . . bon appetit.
5. Once again, this year you did not manage to get the body you wanted.
6. Summer fruit just tastes a little better: think of watermelon, melon, nectarines, cherries, grapes . . .
7. Watermelon is actually a vegetable! It is from the botanical family cucurbitaceae and is most closely related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
8. Bougainvillea is the most beautiful plant of the summer – especially when it’s right next to a whitewashed small beach house.
9. The perennial summer coffee drink is a frappé or a freddo.
10. There is never enough olive oil on a summer salad for everyone to dip their bread and taste.
11. If the summer winds are in the mood, dramamine (or any other motion sickness medicine) will do nothing for you when sailing.
12. Don’t overlook the amazing views from the top of a cliff right by the beach – it might be just the perfect location for that one memorable picture.
13. There is nothing like the perfect lunch at a seaside restaurant with tables just steps from the crashing waves.
14. It is on a summer vacation that everyone’s peculiarities rear their ugly head. So, choose your travel companions wisely.
15. You never get used to just how long the day lasts during those endless summer months.
16. Refreshing ice cream should be enjoyed on a cone.
17. We all know the irreparable damage of the sun. Then how is it that everyone looks just a little better with a tan?
18. Havaianas have become more than a fashion statement.
19. Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.
20. And one last thing: enjoy your vacation to the fullest – September is just around the corner.