20 facts to keep in mind during summer

Posted on: July 16th, 2012 by Mr Roaming 24 Comments

It is the peak of the summer in Europe and in the Northern hemisphere. And to celebrate, we came up with some interesting facts:

1. You can no longer stay exposed to the sun for seven hours straight like you used to when you were a teenager.

2. Go out but come back early . . . in the morning, that is.

3. It’s official: amigdalota (a sumptuous desert made of almonds) is the best desert of the summer 2012 in Europe.

4. Don’t get confused: it’s lemon on fried calamari and vinegar on grilled octopus. And . . . bon appetit.

5. Once again, this year you did not manage to get the body you wanted.

6. Summer fruit just tastes a little better: think of watermelon, melon, nectarines, cherries, grapes . . .

7. Watermelon is actually a vegetable! It is from the botanical family cucurbitaceae and is most closely related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.

8. Bougainvillea is the most beautiful plant of the summer – especially when it’s right next to a whitewashed small beach house.

9. The perennial summer coffee drink is a frappé or a freddo.

10. There is never enough olive oil on a summer salad for everyone to dip their bread and taste.

11. If the summer winds are in the mood, dramamine (or any other motion sickness medicine) will do nothing for you when sailing.

12. Don’t overlook the amazing views from the top of a cliff right by the beach – it might be just the perfect location for that one memorable picture.

13. There is nothing like the perfect lunch at a seaside restaurant with tables just steps from the crashing waves.

14. It is on a summer vacation that everyone’s peculiarities rear their ugly head.  So, choose your travel companions wisely.

15. You never get used to just how long the day lasts during those endless summer months.

16. Refreshing ice cream should be enjoyed on a cone.

17. We all know the irreparable damage of the sun.  Then how is it that everyone looks just a little better with a tan?

18. Havaianas have become more than a fashion statement.

19. Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.

20.  And one last thing:  enjoy your vacation to the fullest – September is just around the corner.

1. Lefteris says:

The list is just perfect mr. roaming. I may add one more: the earlier you start your vacation, the longer it lasts! Happy summer!

2. Karen says:

I can’t wait for my vacation! This list just makes me want to change my ticket to Europe to tomorrow!!! I love your pictures.

3. brasil80 says:

Havaianas and the beach – perfect combination. Now it really time for summertime.

4. caroline says:

Being a foodie, I must timidly say that #9, 10 and 13 are truly the best! Eating this delicious food by the seaside is simply heavenly. But one thing is for sure: the inappropriate crowd can certainly ruin all of that! So beware.

5. caroline says:

And it’s so true – the summer days seem to go on forever. What an amazing feeling . . .

6. HH says:

The deserts in #3 looks delicious. But the best picture has to be the one with the octapus. Now this is summer by the sea.

7. Nancy says:

Your top 20 things are spectacular! You paint a picture of the perfect summer by the beach. Now, it’s time to try to make it happen.

8. James says:

Ok, I have been eating watermelon since I was a kid. And now I find out it’s a vegetable. But I have to vote that it is the best summer fruit.

9. Charlie says:

Is it summer yet? This list is awesome – I plan to do every single thing you suggest Mr. Roaming.

10. Sarah says:

#14 is so true! I spent a week on a sailboat in the Caribbean with some friends – we are no longer friends, which is too bad.

11. Greg says:

I have to agree with Sarah – traveling with friends can be very tricky. It seems that people’s peculiarities are more pronounced when on a trip. But the good news is that if your friendship can weather the storm, then you know you have a strong friendship.

12. sherrie says:

I love this list! I couldn’t add anything myself.

13. Claire says:

Summer is the perfect season for lazy afternoons, drinks and excellent food by the beach and lots of sun. Wonderful list to put everyone in the mood.

14. Heather says:

I love your summer lists. I’m getting on Expedia to book myself a ticket to somewhere . . . .

15. Charlie says:

This article of course goes hand in hand with your newest about the Amalfi Coast and the Cyclades. I can’t think of a single thing to add.

16. Michael says:

#13 looks unbelievably delicious. And eating this food in this location – this must be a dream. And I’m just about to have a turkey sandwich for lunch. What’s wrong with this picture?

17. Michael says:

And one more great list! The picture of #15 looks magical by the way.

18. CQ says:

The #9 coffee drink looks amazing!!! What a great collection of ideas . . . .

19. CHRISTINA says:

these are some great points to keep in mind when traveling this summer. you have spectacular pictures in your blog. Congratulations!

20. lawr says:

And these are some essential tips as you mention. I spent two weeks wearing Havaianas and my feet have never felt better.

21. castille says:

You develop such a good mood with this list. Now, all I need is a convertible antique from Lago Como to drive around the Greek countryside you show. (I assume it’s Greece . . .)

22. jimmy says:

Great list! Now all I need is an airline ticket to the Mediterranean, a bathing suit and some sunscreen. Brilliant!

23. whitlier.walter says:

I would like to congratulate you on your #13 picture. This looks like heaven. I wonder where it is?